Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You say electropop, I say electroclash.

Defining music can be confining, and I can’t really bring myself to do it unless I am absolutely sure I know what I’m talking about. Just like the plethora of “isms” that exist in the art world, such as realism, romanticism and post-modernism, music forms have been categorized and labeled by critics since the beginning. Not to say that this is a bad thing. How else would I find Miles Davis in the music store if there weren’t a Jazz section?

But when I was looking up information on this fantastic British quartet called Ladytron, I learned quickly that music appreciators sometimes take categorizing music too far. I could see how Ladytron could be harder to define than say Kenny G, but six different genres is a little overwhelming. Here are four genres I found:

• New age – I can’t really see how Ladytron fits here. New age dates back to 1967 with the song “Aquarius” by a band called the Fifth Dimension, and I would say Ladytron is a lot more awesome and a lot less psychedelic. While they do create the electronic, synthesized sound that most new age music is associated with, Ladytron also packs a drum machine sound that kicks acts like Enya into the old age.

• Britpop – This genre is almost there. It’s derived from the British indie scene like Ladytron, but it’s more of a trendy alternative-rock style in the fashion of bands like Oasis and Blur.

• Electropop – Nope, no Ladytron here, but we’re really close. This British and German genre contains the synthesizers, electronic sound and characteristic abstract sci-fi lyrics, but there’s one more genre that seems to be a better match for Ladytron.

• Electroclash – This is the closest we can get to Ladytron. This genre is more of a movement of the electropop sound that incorporates the band’s stage presence, consisting of post-industrial fashion and attitude. When the they perform, they wear matching black military uniforms to symbolize sexual ambiguity, a characteristic of the electroclash movement.


Ladytron will be performing at the Clubhouse in Tempe on Oct. 24 if you’d like to decide for yourself where these uber-hip synthesizing Europeans belong on the musical spectrum.

2 Comments:

Blogger Azdez said...

So under what section did you find it? Oh and “Aquarius” by a band called Hair isn't quite right. “Aquarius” was a song in the play Hair and done on vinyl by the 5th Dimension.

The Lovely and Gracious

6:57 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Did you go to this show? I went and it was awesome. I wish I had seen you there if you did go.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home